Real Christmas Trees : festive satisfaction for your home
Nothing beats a real Christmas Tree at Christmas. At Country Market, Hampshire here are a few tips to help you get the best from your tree.
- Once home, place the tree in water as soon as possible. Most species can go 6 to 8 hours after cutting the trunk and still take up water. Don't bruise the cut surface or get it dirty.
- Check that your stand fits your tree and will hold sufficient water. Avoid whittling the sides of the trunk down to fit a stand. The outer layers of wood are the most efficient in taking up water and should not be removed.
- Make a fresh cut to remove about a 1inch thick disk of wood from the base of the trunk before putting the tree in the stand.
- Place your tree in the stand, away from major sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents, direct sunlight). Lowering the room temperature will slow the drying process, resulting in less water consumption each day.
- Inspect your light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set.
- Use of lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, will reduce drying of the tree.
- Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree. With many stands, there can still be water in the stand even though the base of the tree is no longer submerged in water.
- Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.
- Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house
- Never burn any part of a Christmas tree in a wood stove or fireplace
At Country Market we stock a good range of locally grown, top quality trees. We only choose dedicated growers that produce reliable, good quality trees and we select the best first grades for your Christmas satisfaction For more information, visit Country Market, garden centre, Hampshire.